Friday, October 06, 2006

There's always something to complain about.

Since this blog's focus lies mainly on gaming and topics surrounding gamedesign and development, I thought I'd start off with some very basic complaints. And yes, I realize I'm one off many who wants to vent his or her's oppinions concerning life, death and everything in between. What makes me so different from the rest? Well, to be honest, not much. So don't expect too much. But, I myself am an aspiring writer/gamedesigner and currently have a lot of projects under way. Personal stuff, all to get myself into that study so many wannabe designers crave to get into.

From what I heard and know, one of the best gamedesign studies in the world, right smack here in Holland. Or, as it is known to many people around the world, The Netherlands. You could say it's somewhere between Germany, the UK and the Netherrealm.

Yes, a horrible joke. :(

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, complaining. Complaining is something every human does every once in a while. So naturally, I have some complaints up my sleeve too. As most people realize, I live in Europe. And to a lot of people, Europe is a part of the 3rd world when it comes to gaming. The amount of times we have gotten the shaft when it comes to gaming has become an astronomically high number, and with recent events it's gotten worse. When I say recent, I mean a few months old. But hey, this is my first post on my blog, so I get to do that.

First of all, the fact that Sony has once again blatantly lied to us, while many of us did saw it coming, concerning the launch of their new PlayStation 3 system. Originally planned for this year, but due to their own atrocious planning set back to probably March 2007. The reason? A blue laser diode which they couldn't get enough of in time. A lot of the insiders knew it, many who visited one of the most hardcore forae saw it happening beforehand. But, even as it happened, it did struck a blow. The PS3 was, quote shockingly(O_o), delayed for Europe.

Add this to the fact that in all the years that I've been gaming many a game didn't even get released or took 10 months after the US release to be finally put onto shelves here, and you probably know why we're no happy campers over here. I mean, we missed out on Xenosaga Episode 1 (we did get Episode 2 with an extra disc containing the cutscenes of the first game), Suikoden III and we might miss out on Front Mission 5, which is, according to a friend of mine, one of the best in the series when it comes to depressing storylines.

To make matters worse, a rambling spokesman, Jamie MacDonald, working for the European chain of SCE Worldwide Studios came up with this amusing anecdote as an answer to the question regarding this debacle, as asked by GameIndustry and I quote; What would you say to consumers who like Sony and want to buy your products, but perhaps feel that because they're in Europe they're always last in line? Jamie Macdonald: European consumers have shown that historically they don't mind that, because they end up buying as many PlayStations, if not more, than the US and Japan. In Europe, it doesn't seem that the release of our platforms after the US and Japan - in the long run - affects how consumers feel.

Oh yeah, we don't mind, unless you open up your eyes and see the massive amounts of complaints posted on message boards and blogs like these! Nooo sir, there's no one complaining about the big stick up their asses. Don't get me wrong, I think they'll do great, and in the long run it really won't matter. But that's not thanks to the console-manufacturer itself, let alone the PR blunder just shown here. It's because the PS3 gets games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Motorstorm and my favorite: Virtua Fighter 5. If those games were to shift to the, let's say, Xbox 360, there would be no reason whatsoever to wait till March. Actually, I myself am not waiting till March and will get both X360 and Wii beforehand.

That's it for today though, expect a new complaint soon. I have a feeling something might pop up again soon, it's just bound to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home